Friday, February 4, 2011

Starting Out

The Idea for my app came from work that I do on the RPI's Student Senate.  The Finance, Facilities, and Advancement Subcommittee (FFA) collects data on emergency poles on campus.  We collect info on what state they're in and how well they work.  We also work with Public Safety on other issues, such as things to do with crime alerts (I'm also in the Web Tech Group, so this mainly relates to Concerto).  We wanted a way to display this information to the student population that was more visual than our tabular data.  We also wanted to be able to relate crime alerts that occur throughout a semester.

The foundation of Flagship Safety is Flagship Geo (FSG), a basic RoR mapping app which my friend Brian Michalski developed last summer.  From there I have scaffolded models, controllers, and views for emergency poles and crime alerts.  They are replacing the concept of points that existed in FSG.

No comments:

Post a Comment