Sunday, June 12, 2011

RCOS Timeline

We're entering week four of the Summer session here at RPI, and I realize I should probably schedule out  the tings I want to do.  I've spent the first three weeks working on improving the display of emergency poles, and I can now display multiple layers on one main map.

I now need to incorporate icons and user controls (probably buttons) so that people can choose which layers to view at the same time.  I need to add more functionality to enter and view call box tests.  Crime alerts need to be enhanced to display relevant information, possibly with some sort of RSS reader to automatically pull in new alerts.

I recently had a meeting with some Public Safety officers.  I was trying to figure out how my app might be useful to the wider RPI community.  They thought it might be useful to show to parents as a way of reassuring them about safety on campus.  They also referred me to people in IACS (Integrated Administrative Computing Solutions) in terms of the RSS feed.  I also got from them a list of call boxes and their approximate coordinates.  I now need to go through and verify the accuracy of our data, in other words make sure that we have the right numbers on our call boxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment