Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Icons and Users and Roles, oh my

This week I started finishing up icon support.  I say started because it also lead to me working on authorization and authentication.  Authentication will be handled by devise, and authorization will be through cancan.

Now there is a devise_cas_authenticatable gem to allow devise to support CAS authentication.  With just a little configuration, my app now allows anyone with an RCS id to login.  Mind you, that only says that your part of the RPI community, it won't control who gets to do what.
For that we need an authorization scheme.  This is where cacan comes in, it allows for many types of authorization structures.  The one I'll probably go with is roll-based authorization, where each user has a role within the system.

No comments:

Post a Comment